N U T M E G
Nutmeg has a unique earthy, nutty, sweet flavor. It can be added to savory and sweet dishes such as pies, cakes, soups, sausages and preserves, as well as creamy sauces! Can also be added on top of frothy milk in coffee and chai.How to use it: You need: A zester or grater and nutmeg. You can also use a nut mill.
- Crack the shell of a nutmeg seed open. smash it between the cutting board and a strong knife or plate. don’t worry about breaking the seed itself.
- Peel away the shell, cracking more shell as needed.
- Grasp the tip of the nutmeg seed with your thumb and forefinger and carefully slide the edge of the nutmeg in a fluid motion.
- Once the shell is broken on the seed, the expiration date moves from nine years to three years.
- Freshly grated nutmeg is stronger than ground nutmeg!
It is not only delicious, but it is also medicinal! Nutmeg is packed with nutrients: minerals such as magnesium, manganese and copper; and vitamins such as B1, B6, etc.
- Brain Tonic: Stimulates the brain, eliminates fatigue and stress, helps concentration and is an anti-depressant.
- Indigestion Relief: Relieves stomach ache and helps aid diarrhea, constipation, bloating, flatulence, removes excess gas from intestines. Can also boost appetite.
- Bad Breath Treatment: nutmeg is antibacterial, so it will kill the build-up of bacteria in your mouth, thus eliminate bad breath. Nutmeg is a common ingredient in toothpastes!
- Liver and Kidney Detox: detoxifies the liver and kidney from diet, pollution, stress, tobacco, medication etc. Prevents and dissolves kidney stones.
- Skin Care: Promotes healthy skin and treats skin problems. You can make a homemade face scrub with grated nutmeg and some honey, or add grated nutmeg to your scrub, to help get rid of blackheads, pores clogged with excess ooil and dead skin cells. Nutmeg can also help acne scars less noticable.
- Sleep Aid: One cup of milk with some grated nutmeg can promote better sleep!